Member Spotlight: Darianne Willey

Spotlight: Darianne Willey
This week we are spotlighting a member of Utah State University’s chapter of Engineers Without Borders. Darianne Willey will be sharing some of her experiences and some fun facts about herself.
Q: What is your favorite quote?
A: If you could put everything Richard Dawkins has ever said into one large quote. That would be my favorite.
Q: Where are you from? Why did you choose USU?
A: I am from Boise, Idaho. I chose USU because of the location, affordability, opportunities, and because I could stick with my pal Dylan Filkins.
Q: What is a phobia you have?
A: I have submechanophobia, which is a deep fear specifically of man-made objects submerged in water. I am also terrified of large natural things in water but this is so rare that there isn’t a formal name for it.
Q:  How did you hear about EWB and why did you join the club?
A: I heard about EWB during a presentation in an orientation class from Dr. McNeill. My goal for beginning college was to try new things, and this one sounded like one I could really be passionate about, as opposed to something like Meditation Club, the memory of which still makes me uncomfortable.
Q: What year in school are you and what is your major? What made you want to go into that field?
A: I am a freshman majoring in Watershed and Earth Systems and Environmental Engineering. I really wanted a career that could directly impact and improve sustainability, something I am very passionate about.
Q: What are your plans after graduation?
A: After graduation I think I want to go into the military, then join the Peace Corps, and then roam about doing whatever I feel like, kicking butt, taking names, and making the world a better place.
Q: What is your dream job and why?
A: My dream job would be a travelling-political-animal-and-human-rights-activist-Disney-animator-wetland-engineer-comedian-professional-basketball-player-hippie, because that would be awesome.
Q: What are some of your favorite memories from being a part of EWB?
A: A memory that I still laugh about was when, during a sincere discussion about chick-flicks while on our way to an outreach event, a team member explained he liked chick-flicks because he could smooch with his girlfriend, and Alan responded with, “If I have one regret in my life, it was hearing that.”
Q: Have you ever eaten anything weird on your past EWB trips?
A: Haven’t gone on any trips yet, but I’m vegan so everything I eat is weird, anyway.
Q: Why is EWB such an important and influential group?
A: EWB is important because it allows people to channel their yearning to serve people and to innovate into one creative outlet that will actually impact small communities. I think it serves as inspiration: If you can make a measurable positive impact in one small place while you’re in college, a person can really start to imagine what they can do in the future with more experience on larger scales.
Q: What have you learned from being a part of EWB that will continue to help you after graduation?
A: What has been most surprising to me is that I actually have good ideas. I’ve taken chances speaking and offering ideas and asking questions, and they are actually good comments, good ideas and good questions. Each meeting and workshop I’ve gained more confidence and I take this confidence to work, to class, and even places like physical therapy. Learning that I can and having faith that I can continue to make meaningful contributions is something I will be carrying with me till I keel over.
Q: Where do you see the club in a few years and how can it be improved?
A: Beneath me as I stand victoriously over it as the supreme overlord. Or, more likely, wrapping up our Mexico project and setting our sights on a new country with a new project.
Q: Why should people join EWB?
A: You will meet great, funny, smart people, and build your resume while you learn and have a great time.
Q: If you had a pet alpaca, what would you name it?
A: Probably Yzma, because, Disney.

Comments

Popular Posts