Get to Know Nathan Stacey, Club President

Get to know Nathan Stacey, the president of the USU-EWB club!



What is your position with USU EWB?

Nathan: I am the club president. I direct the Mexico and Peru teams in their respective humanitarian projects, and I supervise club fundraising, workshops, and social and community outreach events.

How long have you been a member?

Nathan: I have been a member for almost 2 years.

Why did you join USU EWB?

Nathan: I joined because I wanted to use my engineering skills to help others. EWB gives me the opportunity to work directly with communities in need and find creative solutions to better meet their basic needs.

What is the most fun thing you have done with USU EWB? 

Nathan: Traveling to La Salitrera last summer was amazing. My favorite part of the trip was giving out toys and books to the kids and playing games with them.

What is the hardest part of the summer trips?

Nathan: I was the Mexico Team Lead when we traveled last summer. It was very stressful for me to manage the whole team because I had never been to the community before and had never done a lot of the water testing procedures. I didn't know the community members, where everyone in the community lived, and where all the existing filters were located. I also got a little sick for a few days.

What is the most gratifying thing you have done with USU EWB?

Nathan: I have really enjoyed building friendships with the other student team members, the faculty mentors, and the people in La Salitrera. I have worked closely with all of them and have been able to get to know them very well. Helping the people in La Salitrera became much more meaningful to me after I got to know the people.

What would you say to somebody that is considering joining?


Nathan: Do it! Joining this club has been critical to my success as an undergraduate student. My experience with EWB has helped me to get awesome internships, great letters of recommendation, close relationships with faculty whose advice has been invaluable, and excellent graduate school opportunities. I have made so many friends and have loved serving the people in La Salitrera.

Comments

Popular Posts