10 Ways You Can Conserve Water
Have you ever wondered what you can do to make a difference? Many people in the world don’t have enough water for daily living. For example, many communities we assist in Mexico and Peru only get water at their taps two or three times per week, and then only for a few hours.
Utah is the second driest state in the United States, so although we’re not as water stressed as other parts of the world, it’s important we do our part to minimize water waste. When it comes to conserving water, small adjustments made at home can have a big impact. Here are ten simple ways to conserve water.
- Always turn taps off tightly so they do not drip. A leaky faucet can lead to gallons of wasted water.
- If you have an electric dishwasher, use it only to wash full loads, and use the shortest cycle possible. Many dishwashers have a conserver/water-miser cycle.
- Use either low-flow shower heads or adjustable flow-reducer devices on your shower heads. They can reduce flow by at least 25 percent!
- Use native plants or plants that require little water to thrive in your region to minimize watering.
- Regularly inspect the sprinkler heads to make sure they are not damaged or malfunctioning.
- Water your yard in the morning to prevent water loss due to evaporation. Avoid watering when it’s windy.
- Wash vehicles at a carwash that recycles its water. If washing at home, make sure the hose has a shutoff valve.
- Hand-washing a lot of dishes? Fill up your sink with water, instead of letting it run the whole time you’re scrubbing.
- Choose efficient fixtures for your home. Aerating your faucets, investing in a low-flow toilet, choosing efficient shower heads, and opting for a Water-Sense rated dishwasher and washing machine can add up to big water savings.
- Keep a pitcher of drinking water in the fridge. That way, you won’t have to leave the tap running to get a cool, refreshing drink of water!
Now that you know what differences you can do at home, go to http://ewb.usu.edu to learn more about what the Engineers Without Borders-Utah State University student chapter is doing to make a difference throughout the world.